Do I have to pay taxes as a Green Card holder?

As a permanent resident, you must file income tax returns and report your income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), as well as your state, city, or local tax department if required. If you do not file income tax returns while living outside of the U.S. for any length of time, or if you say that you are a “non-immigrant” on your tax returns, the U.S. government may determine that you have given up your permanent resident status.