Can I be a Green Card holder and go back to my country of origin?

Most people are required to live in the state or USCIS district in which they apply for naturalization for at least three months. Students can apply for naturalization either where they go to school or where their families live (if they depend on their parents for support). If you are a permanent resident who is at least 18 years old, you must be physically present in the United States for at least 30 months within 5 years (or 18 months within 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen) before applying for naturalization. “Physical presence” means that you have actually been present in the United States during this time.